As you see your company growing, you will obviously at one point go global. You have defined your overall business strategies. Your entire business strategy has been established, and you are aware of the nations you are aiming for and your rivals in the next markets. International SEO is the method of optimizing your website so that search engines can conveniently identify which countries you want to target and which languages you use for business.
It is very important to know that many of your website visitors are from other countries and speak another language than you speak. It might seem that international SEO is a foreign concept, but you are very much more familiar with it than you know. You should know how to plan your digital globalization with the help of marketing tools.
The best practices to develop your international SEO strategy are:
- Estimate your potential in your target countries: – For this, you should start with estimating your international SEO potential by finding out how your website is ranked in your target countries. Also, take a look at the keywords with the help of Google Analytics or similar tools. If your keywords are with a good search volume. This means that it has the potential to get higher rankings and more traffic once the local version is started.
- Analyze the competitive landscape: – Even if your website’s international potential is high, you should know about who you are fighting against in digital marketing. Most likely, you already know who your fiercest rivals are in that nation. This does not imply that all are equally effective in terms of their online presence, though.
- Conduct international keyword research: – Now that you have identified your primary competitors, the next step is to determine which keywords they are indexed for in your target countries and to select the best ones to utilize for your SEO. Many tools can help you determine some of the best keywords for international SEO.
- Localize your brand: – As you have collected valuable keywords, you should now begin to create content in the local language. However, simply translating the original texts and stuffing them with keywords would not suffice. Also consider local aspects to make your customers feel personalized.
- Decide on the main technical aspects: – You should be able to handle the technical side of your international SEO as well. The main aspects include choosing the right structure for your website, deciding on the server’s location, and ensuring the correct hreflang implementation.
You should decide the structure of your website for which you need to define your goal i.e., are you targeting a language or country? Use the language targeting approach if you want to target countries that share a language. If you want to target a specific audience/country, country targeting is the best option. International SEO done correctly means that your users in each target country or language are directed to the appropriate country or language version of your site. Hreflang annotations are important in this process because they are used to cross-reference pages with similar content but different audiences. Incorrect hreflang implementation can harm your rankings as well as the overall user experience.
There are several URL structures that webmasters can use to target a specific country with their websites. They include using a country code top-level domain (ccTLD), a subdomain, a subdirectory or subfolder, a generic top-level domain (gTLD) with language parameters, or even a completely different domain name. Make sure you are providing information that is suited to your target audience(s). By using the local language, currency, and time zone together with the contact information like addresses and phone numbers, you are sending users and search engines strong signals that they are in the right spot. Also, think about cultural differences when you are creating your design and content. Different regions look at things like color, layout, and style of humor in very different ways. Other signals to show search engines that your site targets a specific country include hosting your site on a local IP, linking to local content, building links from resources, and finding ways to rank on local search engines. The most significant distinction between local and international SEO is scale. While local SEO focuses on keywords and audiences within a specific geographic area, international SEO targets audiences from all over the world. You can use many tools for international SEO like HubSpot, Google Search Console, Ahrefs, Moz, Semrush, and Google Analytics.
The best international SEO practices are to answer questions in the region’s native language and the right context, translate existing content carefully, consider the entire user experience in your strategy, and avoid automatically redirecting users based on their IP address. The right SEO strategy distinguishes your brand from the competition. While this is important in your home market, it is even more important if you decide to expand internationally, because it will ensure that your website is optimized to support high-value content and keywords across regions and countries.
You have assessed your SEO potential in your target countries, examined your competitive landscape, compiled a list of the most profitable keywords for international SEO, and even considered the technical aspects of creating an internationally targeted website. Just remember that your international SEO can help you go global and reach that goal that you have always dreamt of.